There are basically three different ways authentication works in security:
- Authentication by knowledge (what you know): This includes passwords and PINs.
- Authentication by ownership (what you have): This will be something in your possession like access cards, tokens, etc.
- Authentication by characteristic (what you are): This is where biometrics comes in- fingerprints, retina scan, etc.
Now let’s think about these things from a spiritual angle:
- What you know- This will include your knowledge of Scripture and knowing what you have in Christ. (Phil 4:13, 2Cor 5:17)
- What you have- This will relate to the work of the Holy Spirit in your life. (2Cor 12:8, Rom 8:26)
- What you are- As a saved being, you are not a nobody- you are a child of God, an overcomer, etc. (Rom 10:9-10, Rom 8:37)
The same way the strongest forms of authentication are the ones that use two or more of these types, so it is in the spiritual. Being in Christ already guarantees our salvation but we can exercise our dominion better when we know what we have (The Word of God) and use what we have (The Holy Spirit).
Food for thought:
None of these factors are contradictory. The Holy Spirit will not contradict the Word of God and vice. John 16:13
John 8:32 “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”