“They” does not refer to anyone in particular; it refers to the notions we grew up with. They probably didn’t know any better either.
- They told us we should be scared of witches and wizards and demons and don’t even try the devil himself; but that’s not right. The devil should be the one scared of me because the Bible tells me to resist the devil and he will FLEE from me. Imagine what the lower ranks will do. James 4:7
- They told us that prosperity was evil; that poverty was synonymous with being pious. Hold up! “But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus“. Philippians 4:19; 2 Corinthians 9:8
- They told us the mother was the “spiri-coco” of the house and the father just needed to provide and know God “just enough”. But nowhere does it tell me in the Bible that the New Testament Church was filled with only women.
- They told us that if it God’s will to heal us, then He will and if not, then He won’t. Chill: How can the One Who sent His ONLY Son to die for us not be willing to heal us? Lemme take it a step further: He has already healed us. Matthew 8:17; 1 Peter 2:24
- They told us we should pray so that faith will come. Only if they meant that we should pray for a deeper understanding of His Word because Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Romans 10:17
- They told us that God is responsible for all the evil in the world. *jaws drop* How can the Father of Lights in Whom there’s no darkness be a force of evil? Best believe, the devil is the god of this world. I didn’t say it; Paul did. 2 Corinthians 4:4
- They told us to end every prayer with “Let thy will be done” C’mon, there was only one time Jesus prayed like that. He also said God will give us WHATSOEVER we ask in His [Jesus’] Name. John 16:23-24
- They told us God was like a headmaster waiting to “hack” us down for every sin we commit. They forgot to mention that the whole point of Jesus coming was redemption and forgiveness. That being said, shall we sin because we are not under the Law but under Grace? God forbid! 1John 1:9
- They told us to keep “shouting at” God and burp our head from side to side, hoping that one of our prayers will strike past the ozone layer and make it through to Heaven. They didn’t add “…and oh, you need some faith with that too“. Hebrews 11:6
- They said they evolved from monkeys; that their world happened as a result of big bang; and that there’s no God. Please, that’s not even why we are here. Genesis 1
Perhaps! I’m also lying to you. Why don’t you find out for yourself?